Like meeting someone in person, having a definitive quality helps another remember you better than if you blend in with the rest of the crowd. The same should apply for your website. Given that the home page of a website is the most visited page of 99% of the websites out there, you want to make sure that it makes the best and strongest impression possible.
There are a number of ways you can do that. Start with the design of the page. On average, 4/5 people do not scroll below the bottom-fold of any page. So that means the top half of the page is where you have to make that best first impression. Use this coveted real estate wisely. Designs that are engaging but still follow the basic format tend to be successful. Things to consider:
- Make sure your business name and company tagline is visible, add a Call to Action (Call Today for your Free Consultation)
- Make sure your phone number is large and stands out. So many sites out there have their phone number in squint print. How many people are going to get out of a chair to find their glasses to read your number vs. click out of your site and find your competition whose site is easier to read?)
- Make use of dynamic colors. If you have an established brand, make sure to use those colors but don’t limit yourself. You can use shades of the same color or have multiple colors, insert a textured background, use bold colors to bring out a certain important piece of information and so forth
- Slide shows of static pictures and/or videos. You are no longer tied into the static 2-dimensional confines of print ads and materials.
- Make prominent, easy to read statements of why you are unique, the strong points of your business and what makes you stand out over your competition. Don’t forget to have about 300 words of written text on this page–that can be placed in the bottom fold.
- Social media–engage your audience to “like you” or “follow you”
- Make it easy for someone to connect with you–phone number, contact box, email, live chat
It’s a lot to consider and takes time getting the first impression right. However, the reward is that you will have a higher rate of conversion. Using a design company that has a proven track record is important. A new or redesigned website can either be an expensive business expense or a wise investment. Most people would prefer their efforts to be the later in hindsight. Visit www.1seo.com to see our record of success